WTSHTF - plans !
Serious discussions have been had regarding an exodus from the land of our births, should a certain frog faced individual get into power.The recent trend of painting crosses on things, and the hanging of flags has not improved our outlook on the future.
Although not many households around here have partaken, and at least I now know easily where the local gammons live.
I have previously looked at the rainbow map of Europe, to try and find places that might be suitable to go to.
Green is good, Red is bad !
They rank based on seven categories: equality and non-discrimination; family; hate crime and hate speech; legal gender recognition; intersex bodily integrity; civil society space; and asylum.
Surprisingly Italy doesn't seem so good, even compared to the UK, I was not expecting this !
Spain had been the number one contender, partly as due to it being a very accepting country, but also one of us could be employed there fairly easily.
But at the weekend, in a rare moment of clarity, I did recall that Wales was meant to be more trans-friendly than the rest of the UK.
I did more digging, and it seems they even have an action plan :
"Our plan to make Wales the most LGBTQ+ friendly nation in Europe."
https://www.gov.wales/lgbtq-action-plan-wales-contents
They even seem to suggest they may devolve specific laws to make them able to be more friendly than the UK as a whole ! :
"Trigger a request to devolve the Gender Recognition Act and support our Trans community."
This plans was first published back in 2023, and although they have published progress updates since, it doesn't seem to me that they are in a big rush with anything.
But it would certainly be a lot easier to relocate there than Spain.
Unfortunately it seems Reform is also doing quite well there at the moment though :
The election there is due by the 7th of May 2026, so not too far off. So perhaps they will suffer the same fate as the rest of the UK, and this plan will be ripped up with gusto 😢
I guess will have to wait and see - even if they don't get it, it would be worrying if they were big enough to be the main opposition party. I would very much like them to go back to being the joke they always were.Not sure if I previously shared this, but the one to the right is a picture that my friend Bella took when we visited Lytham St Anne's back in June through the window of their Reform branch.
You can see how important they feel about the subject, they've not even left any room to talk about immigrants !
Anyway, we shall continue as we are for the moment. Lots more research required !


That the last administration stuffed key positions with trans hostile appointments, is it any wonder we're seeing what we're seeing?
ReplyDeleteI am hoping the flag sh***er nonsense is a hangover from the silly season of summer, and that cooler heads will prevail.
That and the number of recent councillors who are ineffective blowhards, will be found out and be removed.
Having some form of plan helps deal with it, makes me feel less worried by it all - I hope I never have to though.
DeleteThey have painted over some of the roundabouts around here, but you can still see the red faintly through - a constant reminder. I'm sure the winter storms will deal with a lot of the flags up lampposts hopefully.
Useful to see how things do go in Wales, it might be an indicator of how it might go here too I guess.
Having a plan is prudent, and I am glad you have the beginnings of plenty.
ReplyDeleteYes, although i seem to be quite lucky, I don't want to rely on that alone :)
DeleteInteresting post Isobel, sad that the UK isn’t green but glad that it’s not red. Thanks for sharing x
ReplyDeleteWell it might end up red, that's my worry, don't like the way things are going at all :( x
DeleteI have trans friends living in Ireland and they say it's a good place to live for them. And there aren't any post brexit emigration issues, unlike the rest of the EU.
ReplyDeleteI shall have to look into that, Ireland would be a lot more convenient that spain for sure !
DeleteSpain is good; Italy is fine, in fact, with good protections for transitioners; and any Brit may settle in Ireland. But I doubt the mad loons will ever come to power in the UK as most Brit voters are not mad loons themselves. Still, always have a backup plan, bearing in mind that all countries have immigration conditions. Sue xx
ReplyDeleteWe can but hope, be nice for them to lose significantly in Wales, would give me more confidence the rest of the UK will vote the same xx
DeleteIceland looks a good shout
ReplyDeleteIt's too cold here sometimes for me !! 😂
Delete