Sunday, October 15, 2023

Frogs Legs

 

Things of note

My dad is still in hospital, suffering from chemo after effects, really horrible to see him like this. But he did seem to be getting a bit better this last time I visited. We are getting my mum in there as much as we can between us all.

I dyed my hair again on the 3rd of October, I went darker, still using Clairol Nice'n Easy, the shade is :  4W 'Dark Mocha Brown' . It has a few dark ginger tones which I wasn't expecting, but I am fairly happy with it.


Brief Summary of Events :

Thursday the 5th :  Trans-Wakefield

I met up with the group in the Café and had a bit of a chat, but Bennie and Ann were in around as had come up the day before LFF, so I sloped off to have a few drinks with them. 

We did 'Luis Bar' and then to 'The Polka Hop' where i had a fab scotch egg ! - I had skipped food to get to the group on time. Loved the Polka Hop seemed like a nice quirky and friendly place. Then we headed to the New Union mainly to see if any of the group had gone there after the café, then headed home after a soft drink in there.

Friday the 6th : Leeds First Friday 

I helped host an afternoon pub crawl around some real ale pubs with Ann and Alice. We did three pubs ,Tapped, then Bankers Cat, finishing at 'The Brewery Tap'. I think we had 12 people attend which was fab. Hoping to do it again in November.

I was staying at the premier inn this time, so didn't do many outfit changes due to the walk. 

Was a bit tired for the main event in the evening but we still managed to get around quite a few places, including the Tiki Bar above 'Call Lane Social'.  

I stumbled across a first timer in the Viaduct who was looking a bit lonely, and introduced her to
Gemma and Emily's pose as they were showing another two girls around - met up with her later on seemed like she was having a fab night.

We ended up in 'The Shed' later on, did some dancing with some CIS girls to Metallica and a few other rock songs, but was quite tired and headed for bed about 1am. 

Saturday 7th : 

In Leeds for an additional day with Alice, Lexi and . We had breakfast at 'Bills' which was fab, did some shopping, had a few beers in the afternoon.

Flamingo's was rammed so I suggested the cafe in the corn exchange.

At 5pm we headed to the 'Skybar' on top of the Double Tree Hilton where I had some champagne, and we got some nice photo's.  Then we had a fab meal at Goucho's.

I tried the fillet steak this time as I wasn't feeling very good the last time I went, and just had a burger. So it sort of evens out in cost terms now :)

We ended the evening in Northern Guitar, was a really nice day.

The next day instead of getting dressed, I left Leeds in boy mode, and headed straight to my mums to take her across to see my dad. 


Thursday 12th : Nottingham Chameleons

I had wanted to attend as I knew I would have to miss the end of month meeting due to my parents in law being up. It was a nice night, I chatted to a few people, mainly Amber. 

There were a few faces missing but it was still a fairly full room. Got some nice compliments on my hair. 

Lynn attempted to get me to pose in professional fashion, but I failed, so have a comedy one instead :)

I was a good night, but I was really quite tired towards the end, so went home a little earlier than normal. I got back just after midnight



Saturday 14th : Lancaster Music Festival.

My friend Arabella from Blackpool was free for the Saturday, but didn't fancy going around her home
town, so we had decided upon Lancaster.   I had been searching for things to do there, and had not come up with , but entirely by chance noticed a band was on at one of the pubs. With further googling it became apparent that there was quite a big music festival on that weekend, with most of the pubs and bars hosting live acts !

I managed to get a room in the centre at a three star place for a fairly reasonable price - given there was a big event on.

One of our friends had recommend a nice French restaurant down by the river, so I booked that as well to make sure we had something planned for food.

We both arrived around midday, and coincidentally met at the car park pay machine. Had a swift half to refresh ourselves after our journeys. 

We spent the afternoon going around different events, one on a stage in the middle of town, others dotted around in pubs and bars.  There was a busker in a wine bar that was quite fun, I had never done a proper wine bar before, they had two menus 'Wine' and 'Not Wine' , we had a special guest red.

Did a bit of charity shopping too, I got a big green coat. We did also go to a café for a bit of cake and a non-alcoholic beverage as well.  

Around 5pm we walked to the restaurant which was down on the riverside, 'Quite Simply French'.

I had frogs legs to start, followed by duck leg, with some champagne - I may have developed and expensive taste.  My friend had some lamb ball things, followed by beef shin. We were quite full so shared a mini desert and a tea for afters.

The food and service was fabulous and we both really enjoyed it. 

We went back to our rooms to freshen up, and met up a little later to go back out. We did a several more
pubs in the town, and met a lady and her daughter who recommended on a bit more out of town down the canal.  So we decided to go there.  Was really good, but rammed. After a while we got fed up with being barged by random blokes, and found a table at the far end to sit for a bit.

Then we headed back towards the final bar of the night which was just across the road from the hotel. My friend really likes Ska and wanted to see a particular band.  They were called Peloton, and performed some Ska classics (so i was told, I didn't recognise them) plus some ska style covers of popular songs and some of there own. They were fab.  

We left about 00:30 I think, both fairly tired by this point.

There were quite a few rowdy people going back to bed later on, and the plumbing wasn't the best, so I didn't get the best nights sleep. But the view from the room was nice at least.

In the morning we met up for a full English at a local café, and headed off home.  I was taking my mum over to see my dad on the way back. 

All in all a fab event, would seriously consider going back next year. 




5 comments:

  1. How were the frog legs, BTW? I had snails while on holiday and they were very tasty. Certainly a lot nicer than oysters.

    Sorry that the photos at Chams didn't quite come out as you'd have liked. I see you've caught some berk in a lemon print dress 😁 Good to catch up, though, and I hope your Dad's health picks up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked them, they had a citrusy sauce over them, but you could still taste the meat. Bit like brown meat on chicken but more tender.

      I do want to try Oysters too, but I am less keen to buy a whole starter, my friend likes them, she said she would let me try one if she has them.

      Hardly a berk - the photo's were more down to my expression than your photography skills :)

      Thankyou, yes be nice for him to be out and recovered for xmas ! Don't think he will be cured, but at least one chemo session down.

      Delete
    2. I'll let you discover if you like oysters or not.

      For me, they had the texture of child custard with a salt water rinse. Not something I'd have again.

      But rollmops on the other hand? Mmm... FISH! 😸

      Delete
  2. Glad the news from home is not worse.

    Looks like another action-packed (and extremely positive) set of outings though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes it's going to be like going cold turkey when the events dry up towards the end of the year !

      Delete

Things are moving

 So I have a completion date on the house for Thursday this week (20th Aug).  I won't be driving down to get the keys till the Friday th...